Gluten Free Pizza!

Since becoming gluten free, I had yet to find an acceptable solution to pizza. With a lot of the long triathlon training sessions I do I often crave salty foods, and in terms of getting a decent mix of carbs, protein and fat, pizza fits the bill (homemade the healthy way at least!). Most of the gluten free pizza crusts I had attempted in the past either ended up too crumbly, or too hard and left my pizza craving unsatisfied....until this time using Bob's gluten free pizza crust mix! I normally opt for making things from scratch rather than using pre-made mixes, but this will certainly be an exception to that rule.

















Ingredients:

-1 package Bob's red mill gluten free pizza crust
-2 eggs
-1T olive oil
-1/4c cornmeal
-1.5-2 cups pizza sauce (I used 1.5 to finish up an open jar of sauce, but 2 is probably better)
-1c part skim mozzarella cheese (can use more if you want a cheesier pizza)
-8oz package of mushrooms
-2 spicy turkey sausages
-3/4c cherry tomatoes
-2T basil (fresh or dried)
-2tsp red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)

Instructions:

1) Preheat oven to 425

2) Mix gluten free crust according to instructions on package. Once mixed, I sprinkled cornmeal on the dough to make it easier to work with.

3) Cover the dough and leave it in the bowl for 20 minutes to rise (Note: I have omitted this step and the dough still comes out well).

4) Stretch dough to fit on a 12" X 15" pizza stone. The instructions on the pizza crust say it makes two 12" round pizzas, but I have found that it works perfectly for one 12" X 15" rectangular pizza.

5) Bake dough for 7-9 minutes without toppings.

6) Remove from oven, add sauce and desired toppings.

7) Bake an additional 15-18 minutes, until crust is browning on the edges.



Comments