Raw Persimmon Pudding

On the outside, persimmons look a lot like an orange tomato: Not exactly what I would anticipate to be a very sweet fruit.  However, when I tried this fruit for the first time at home over Christmas I was amazed by how unique it was!  The consistency of the fruit inside is almost like a jam and it has the perfect level of sweetness.  I could easily eat this fruit plain, but the consistency worked perfect for use as a pudding as well.

There are 2 common kinds of persimmons that you are most likely to find in the grocery store, fuyu and hachiya.  For this recipe, I used hachiya persimmons.  The interesting thing about this kind is that you can't eat it until it feels like it is extremely overripe.  Trust me, even though it will feel like it is rotting, it most definitely is not.  I don't know from experience, but everything I read on the hachiya persimmons warns that if you try eating one before it has become fully soft, it will taste extremely bitter.






Raw Persimmon Pudding
Yield: 2-3 servings
Adapted from Shape and Old Time Cooking Recipes

Ingredients

2 persimmons
1 frozen banana
3 Medjool dates, pits removed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon rum

Directions

1) Remove the leaves from the persimmons and cut into chunks (Don't worry about peeling off the skins).

2) Place all ingredients into a food processor or blender.

3) Blend until smooth!


I'm putting this recipe under Paleo, but if you wanted to make it strict Paleo simply omit the rum.  


-Brought to you from Erin's Kitchen

Comments