Easiest Homemade Almond Milk!

After my day-long adventure making my own coconut milk, I never wanted to go through the effort of making my own milk ever.  I always assumed that making any kind of nut milk would be a long enough process as well.  This was until I discovered that you can make almond milk just with almond butter and water!  Who knew it could be THAT easy??  The whole process of making this milk really took less than three minutes and it came out delicious and super creamy.  This is so much better than buying the processed stuff at the grocery store with all those unnecessary additives and preservatives.

Don't be afraid of making your own nut milk anymore - Try this out!!!  You could substitute the almond butter with any kind of nut butter too.  The next one I want to try is cashew milk. :)


Homemade Almond Milk
Adapted from Gluten Free Easily
Yield: 2=8 oz. servings
Ingredients
  • 2 heaping Tablespoons almond butter
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (optional) - omit if doing Whole30
Directions
  1. Add all ingredients to a blender.
  2. Blend for approximately 1 minute, or until well mixed.
  3. Strain the mixture with a tea infuser (see picture below), very fine mesh strainer, cheesecloth, or special nut milk cloth in order to separate out the almond pulp.*  This step will leave you with very creamy milk!

*Note #1: To strain my milk, I used a loose leaf tea infuser that I already had which fit perfectly in my 2-cup shaker bottle.  You can also buy nut milk bags from Amazon for $6.00 (and they are reusable).  This website has great step-by-step pictures for how to strain homemade nut milk with a nut bag (or cheese cloth).  Cheese cloth is really cheap as well and can be found at almost any grocery store, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Wal-Mart.

**Note #2: Use immediately or store in the fridge.  Contents may settle over time so just shake before enjoying.

-Brought to you from Erin's Kitchen

Comments