Updates and Cauliflower Soup!

I know it has been a LONG time since my last post, but just wait until you hear everything that has happened in these last 7 months:
Dan & I got married (destination wedding!)

-I had knee surgery.

We had a wedding reception in NY!

We got a dog!

We had another wedding reception in MI!

-I started teaching at a different middle school.

Finally, I became an aunt when Lindsay & Andy had their beautiful baby girl! :)

Hopefully that all explains my hiatus from blogging.  2014 was a year full of surprises and exciting events, which makes me just as happy to see what 2015 has in store for us.

You have lucked out with me being home on a SNOW DAY, which means I will finally get caught up on some new and delicious recipes and may even cook some more to add soon!

To start, I am posting a recipe for some simple, yet delicious, cauliflower soup.  This soup is thick and creamy, but does not contain any real cream!  It's completely dairy free and can be served vegan as well.  I have made this twice in the past week, with a slight variation the second time, so I will post the two slight remixes for you to choose from.  Your topping choices are all up to you, which can make this soup a fun base to enjoy many different ways!

Spiced Cauliflower Soup, 2 Ways
Yield: About 4 servings

Ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1 Tablespoon cumin
  • 1 Tablespoon coriander
  • 1.5 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional: for me this gave it the perfect 'kick')
  • 1 Tablespoon astragalus root (optional: I found this at an organic market - It has some interesting potential health benefits)
  • 1 head cauliflower
  • 2 cups chicken broth (use veggie broth for vegan version)
  • 1 cup water
  • Juice 1/2 lime
  • Salt & pepper to taste
For the REMIX version, use all the above ingredients with the following substitution/additions:
  • Replace the chili powder with 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • Add 2 cups of diced carrots with the chopped cauliflower
  • Add about 3 sprigs of fresh parsley (roughly chopped)
Optional topping ideas:
  • 1/2 Tablespoon hemp hearts
  • 1/2 cup cooked, shredded chicken
  • 1/4 cup shredded plantains (see my recipe here - I make shredded plantains a lot, you can adjust the seasonings how you like and the chicken broth is optional.  I usually like making things easier by simply shredding the plantains and sauteing them with coconut oil, salt and pepper)
  • Shredded cheese
Directions
  1. Cut up the cauliflower roughly.  No need to get too precise because it will all get blended up after it has cooked.
  2. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add the coconut oil.
  3. Once the pot is hot, add the cauliflower (and carrots/parsley if you are doing the remixed version) and stir to coat with the oil.
  4. Immediately add the spices and stir.
  5. Add the chicken broth and water to the pot.  Cover and bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer for 25 minutes.
  6. Add the lime juice, salt and pepper (to taste).
  7. Blend soup until smooth by using an immersion blender (great kitchen tool, just don't make the mistake of using it in a Teflon coated pot like I did!).  If you do not have an immersion blender, allow the soup to cool and then use a standing blender.
  8. Top with desired toppings and enjoy on a chilly winter day!

-Brought to you from Erin's Kitchen

Comments