The BEST Gluten Free Pancakes You've Ever Had

I think it's safe to say that we have all woken up on a Saturday or Sunday morning with a craving for some delicious, fluffy pancakes.  That most recent time for me was this past weekend - I just needed me some pancakes!


Instead of making strict Paleo pancakes, like I had the past few times I made pancakes, I decided to try using buckwheat flour.  Despite its name, buckwheat is not a cereal grain.  In fact, it is a fruit seed that is related to the rhubarb plant.  Similar to quinoa, buckwheat is considered a pseudograin because of the higher starch content in comparison to other seeds.  This is one of the foods I still occasionally incorporate in my diet that does not technically fall under the category "Paleo."

If you didn't know it, you would swear that these pancakes were super glutinous.  There are amazingly light and fluffy with a great taste on their own.  I, however, wanted to get creative and make some tasty toppings to complete our Sunday breakfast.  The two toppings I have included as separate recipes are a blackberry sauce and creamy peanut butter pancake sauce.  You'll notice that I used coconut nectar for my sweetener, but this could definitely be substituted with pure maple syrup.  I could eat these pancakes for breakfast any day!

Buckwheat Pancakes
Recipe Adapted from Cookie and Kate
Yield: 8 pancakes (2 servings)
Gluten free, dairy free, vegan without the egg

Ingredients
  • 1 cup buckwheat flour (I used Arrowhead Mills brand)
  • 1 Tablespoon coconut sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, or dairy free substitute (see instructions below)*
  • 1 large egg, or egg substitute (I made 1 Neat Egg - An awesome egg replacer I found at Wegman's derived from garbanzo beans and chia seeds)
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • Coconut oil, for the skillet
Directions
  1. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the buckwheat flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
  2. In a separate bowl, pour in the buttermilk, egg (or egg substitute), and vanilla extract.  Whisk until well mixed.
  3. Add the wet ingredients into your bowl of dry ingredients and mix well.
  4. Preheat your skillet over medium-low heat and add some coconut oil to coat (about 1 teaspoon).
  5. Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop the batter onto your warm skillet.  Cook for 3 minutes on the first side until small bubbles begin to form on the surface.  Flip and cook on the opposite side for an additional 2 minutes, or until golden brown.
  6. Keep your cooked pancakes on a tray in the oven that is preheated to 200°F to keep warm.
  7. Serve hot with your desired toppings - I suggest trying the peanut butter and blackberry sauces below!!
*To make your own dairy free buttermilk substitute, combine 1 1/4 cups of any dairy-free milk (I used my homemade almond milk) with 1 Tablespoon + 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar) and let sit for 5-10 minutes.  Shake well before using.

The buttermilk is really responsible for the lightness and fluffiness of these pancakes - it does not affect the taste, but makes the texture perfect!



Blackberry Pancake Sauce
Gluten free, dairy free, soy free, vegan, egg free, Paleo

Ingredients
  • 1 cup fresh blackberries
  • 1 teaspoon coconut nectar or pure maple syrup (I found this coconut nectar at Whole Foods)
Directions
  1. Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
  2. Use a strainer to separate out the seeds.
  3. Heat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds before serving.

Creamy Peanut Butter Pancake Sauce
Gluten free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, vegan

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup almond milk (or other dairy-free milk)
  • 1 Tablespoon coconut nectar (or pure maple syrup)
Directions
  1. Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
  2. Heat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds before serving.
-Brought to you from Erin's Kitchen

Comments