Starting off Spring Break with Sunflower Seeds!

I know that I have not made any new posts on here in a while. but it is Spring Break for me so I will do as much as I can over the next week!

Reasons I have neglected posting:
1) Being a teacher definitely keeps you busy!  If I'm doing work on the computer at home, it's usually planning lessons or entering grades.
2) Less than 3 months until Dan and I are getting married!!!!  I think this reason is my best excuse :)

To start things off with a great money-saving recipe, I am going to share my recipe for sunflower seed butter.  You can use this as a substitute for any recipe that calls for peanut butter, and it tastes great as on its own if you want to sneak a spoonful every once in while.

Here are three other ways to enjoy this sunflower butter:
1) Spooned on a banana as part of breakfast.
2) Mixed in with frozen bananas for some "peanut butter" banana "ice cream."
3) As part of a sauce: I added a recipe below that I used as a topping for roasted eggplant, and it was delicious!

For this recipe, I used about 1.5 bags of raw sunflower seeds that I purchased from Trader Joe's for $1.99 per bag.  The 5 cups of seeds that I used made more than 1 regular-sized peanut butter jar!  This is so much cheaper than buying a smaller container of almond butter for more than double the price.

Sunflower Seed Butter
Yield: More than 1 regular-sized (16 oz.) peanut butter jar



Ingredients
5 cups raw sunflower seeds
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1.5 Tablespoons grape seed oil

Directions

1) Preheat your oven to 375°F

2) Spread the sunflower seeds in a thin layer on two baking sheets

3) Roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes, stirring every 3-4 minutes.  You will know they are done when your kitchen is filled with a roasty aroma and some of the seeds start to turn more golden.

4) Remove seeds from the oven and allow to cool.

5) Place the roasted seeds in your food processor and begin to process.  Stop every 2-3 minutes, or as needed, to scrape down the sides of your food processor.
*Note, this will take about 20 minutes of processing before the seeds turn into butter.

6) After the seeds start getting smooth (about 15 minutes in for me), add your vanilla extract, sea salt, and grape seed oil.  Continue to process until you have the perfect, creamy, peanut butter-like texture.


Slightly Spicy Sunflower Seed Sauce
Yield: ~3 servings

Ingredients
3 Tablespoons sunflower seed butter
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce

Directions

1) Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.

Some serving suggestions:
-Pour on top of roasted eggplant or spaghetti squash "pasta"
-Use as a dip for raw vegetables, such as baby carrots

Comments