The BEST Paleo Tortillas

Are you thinking about having Taco Night sometime soon??  If you are, then I highly recommend trying out these tortillas/soft taco shells.  I was amazed at how well they held together the first time I made them, and I have continued to make them anytime I want a bread substitute.  I have used them for beef tacos, BBQ pulled pork tacos, and I want to try make a sunflower seed butter & honey wrap with them as well.  :)

I must give credit to Fast Paleo for providing this amazing recipe.  If you have never visited their website, I suggest checking it out.  They have a very large collection of Paleo recipes.

*Note: If you have a nut allergy, you can substitute the almond flour with coconut flour by making the adjustments noted below.  I have made them both ways, and they turn out great either way.  I have also doubled this recipe to make 10 tortillas for a group of us.

Paleo Tortillas
Yield: ~5 tortillas or 2 servings
Recipe Borrowed From Fast Paleo

Ingredients
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup arrowroot
4 egg whites
1-2 Tablespoons water
Dash of salt
Dash of pepper
Coconut oil for cooking
Optional: Additional herbs/spices, such as sage, garlic powder, or onion powder

Directions

1) Mix all ingredients in a bowl, except for the coconut oil.

2) Heat coconut oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat.  *I used an 8-inch skillet which worked perfectly.

3) Remove your skillet from the heat source while you add your mix.  I found that 1/4 cup of mix per tortilla made them a nice size.  As you pour in the mix, spread it evenly around the pan.

4) Return the skillet to the stove and cook for about 1-2 minutes per side.  
*Note: These cook very fast.  Once the tortilla feels slightly stiff, you can go ahead and flip it.

5) Remove the tortilla from the skillet and repeat steps 3 & 4 with the remaining batter.

*Note 1: The tortilla may seem stiff when you remove it from the skillet, but it will become more pliable as it cools.  These tortillas are super strong though!

**Note 2: To make these nut-free, substitute the almond flour with 1/4 cup of coconut flour and increase the water to 1/2 or 3/4 cup.  You want to mix to be slightly runny, but not too watery.  A 1/2 cup worked well for mine.

Comments