Gluten Free Breakfast Sandwich

This morning I decided to try using up some leftovers that I've had in the fridge the past couple days.  I love having eggs in the morning and since I had leftover polenta in the fridge I thought it would be interesting to use polenta cakes in place of an English muffin for a nice breakfast sandwich.  Guess what, it worked (For the most part, the one egg ended up being a little big for the size of the polenta cakes so it was easier to eat with a fork and knife)!  I also had some leftover pesto in the fridge so I chose to use this as a topping in place of cheese.  I also added a little bit of hot sauce on top for some additional flavor.


Gluten Free Breakfast Sandwich

Ingredients
2 slices of precooked polenta (I used Trader Joe's organic precooked polenta)
1 egg
Toppings of choice (The picture shows pesto, but you could add a slice of cheese if you are not eating dairy free or a different sauce of choice)
Olive oil (or other oil of choice, such as coconut oil)

Directions
1) In a small pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and add polenta cakes.

2) In a separate small pan, heat olive oil and add in one egg to fry.

3) Cook the polenta cakes 5-7 minutes per side or until slightly crisp and beginning to brown.

4) Fry the egg until cooked through.

5) When the polenta cakes and egg are finished cooking, assemble your sandwich by placing the egg and any toppings in between the two cakes.


-Brought to you from Erin's Kitchen

Comments