Spicy Almond Steak and Rice Salad

So, this was officially my first time cooking steak..The flavor turned out well, but I will admit that I overcooked it a bit.  At least now I'll know for next time!  Because of this, I am not going to include directions on how to cook the steak, just cook it whichever way you prefer.  You could also easily substitute the steak for another meat, or tofu if you're looking for a vegetarian meal.  The original recipe also calls for peanut butter, but I substituted this for unsweetened raw almond butter.  I also omitted the white miso paste from the original recipe, but I am going to include that in the ingredients because I do think it would add a great flavor to the dish.  The only miso paste I found in Wegmans was a huge container that I didn't want to have sitting in my fridge for months or going to waste.



Spicy Almond Steak and Rice Salad
Adapted from Healthy Happy Life

Ingredients (For 2 salads)
Dressing
2 Tablespoons raw unsweetened almond butter (or other nut butter of choice)
1 Tablespoon white miso paste (I used 1 teaspoon sesame oil in place of this)
2 teaspoons agave syrup
1/2 cup water (Use less if you want a thicker dressing)
2 teaspoons tamari
3/4 dashes cayenne powder
Salad
3-4 cups spinach blend greens
1/2 avocado, sliced long
1 carrot, sliced
Steak, cooked and cut into bite-size pieces (I used a 100% grass-fed NY strip steak)
1 cup cooked brown rice

Directions
1) Add all dressing ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.

2) Cook your rice according to package directions.

3) Mix in most of the dressing with the cooked rice (Save some additional dressing for adding on top of the finished salad).

4) Cook steak according to your choice of cooking method and until desired level of doneness and cut into bite-size pieces prior to adding to the salad.

5) Separate the spinach/greens and carrots onto two plates.

6) Place a large scoop of rice onto the middle of each salad.

7) Add the cut pieces of steak to each salad.

8) Arrange the avocado slices (3 per salad) into a nice twirl pattern.

9) Top with additional desired amount of dressing and enjoy!



-Brought to you from Erin's Kitchen

Comments