Whole30 Day 6 & Lemon, Garlic, and Herb Pork Chops with Roasted Carrots and Rutabaga

I finally feel like I'm getting over this cold!  I at least made it back to Crossfit today.  Even though I didn't finish the full WOD, it felt good to get back to doing something.  And I'm also more confident in this upcoming competition.  I'm just hoping I continue to get better the next couple of days.  I guess I'll be nice and rested up for competing :)

Here are some more of my suggestions for food to keep on hand during the Whole30 (and after!)

If I haven't mentioned before how much I love Trader Joe's, I LOVE Trader Joe's....they have great, healthy food options (organic and not) at prices that are generally cheaper than I find at other grocery stores.


This is actually the only canned coconut milk I've found that does not add anything to it to help thicken the milk (i.e. xantham or guar gum).  The only ingredients are coconut milk and water, and at $0.99 per can you can't beat the price either!













I know that cooking beets can be a pain, and takes a decent amount of time, but Trader Joe's has already steamed and peeled beets in their produce section.  They are also cheaper than any fresh beets I've seen lately ($2.29).  So no work to prep them and less money, how could you say no??












These olives have a bit more salt in them than I would normally prefer, but the only ingredients are olives, water, and salt making them absolutely okay with the Whole30!  And again, they are cheaper than what I've found at other grocery stores ($1.99)










BREAKFAST

Fruit salad
Almonds
Black coffee (Finally had coffee again after days of drinking tea to help my cold!)



LUNCH

Baked chicken
Leftover zucchini/yellow squash
Leftover mashed buttercup squash

SNACKS

Olives
Cashews
Avocado
Hard Boiled egg

DINNER

Lemon, garlic, and herb pork chops
Roasted carrots and rutabaga
Steamed spinach


Lemon, Garlic, and Herb Pork Chops
Adapted from Strictly Paleo...ish

Ingredients

4 boneless, center-cut pork chops
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon dried thyme
1 Tablespoon dried basil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 Tablespoon black pepper
Juice and zest from 1 lemon

Directions

1) Combine all ingredients, except the pork chops, in a bowl and mix to combine.

2) Place pork chops in a dish and cover with the marinade, be sure to get both sides well coated.

3) Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least a few hours.

4) Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking the pork chops to allow them to reach room temperature.

5) Heat some olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.

6) Add your pork chops and cook each side for 3-5 minutes, or until brown and cooked through.  Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of your pork chops.  Mine were pretty thick so I needed to cook them longer.


Roasted Carrots and Rutabaga

Ingredients

4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into julienne strips
2 rutabaga, peeled and cut into julienne strips
1/2 cup water
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon italian seasoning

Directions

1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.

2) Heat water, carrots, and rutabaga in a pot over high heat and cook for 5 minutes after the water begins to boil.

3) Remove from heat and drain the water from the carrots and rutabaga.

4) Add olive oil and seasoning to the carrots and rutabaga, mix well, then place on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet.

5) Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tender.


-Brought to you from Erin's Kitchen

Comments