Whole30 Day 19 & A Delicious Birthday Dinner!

After Crossfit this morning I definitely learned that I need to work on dropping under the bar in snatch. Trying to get a PR without doing this is so frustrating!  I think I spent a full hour working on my 1RM just because I got stuck at 95 lbs (which I KNOW I can get, I just need to actually drop!).

Besides that, I had a nice and relaxing birthday :) Dan and I were looking up places to possibly go out to eat, but going out to eat can be difficult on Whole30.  And of course the one place we found that looked awesome was only open til 5:00!  So, we decided to go to Wegmans (which was a great birthday present in itself, seeing as how I love Wegmans so much) and we came home with some scallops, zucchini, and ingredients for a sun dried tomato pesto.  Check out my dinner below for the recipes!  We wouldn't have been able to get a meal this good going out to a restaurant anyway!!

BREAKFAST

1 banana
Piece of chicken
Black tea

POST WORKOUT

Steamed chicken tender
4 dates

LUNCH

Cabbage roll "salad" (Basically a jumble of leftovers) Or maybe I just call this a garbage plate since it included a chopped up beef enchilada cabbage roll, shredded chicken, extra enchilada sauce, and orange banana salsa.  Might be an odd combination, but it tasted good to me :)

DINNER

Lemon & garlic scallops
Zucchini pasta with sun dried tomato pesto




Lemon & Garlic Scallops
Adapted from Paleo Adventure
Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients

1 lb large sea scallops
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
1 Tablespoon parsley
Juice from 1 lemon

Directions

1) Place all ingredients into a Ziploc bag and mix well so that each scallop is evenly coated.

2) Allow the scallops to marinate in the bag for about 20 minutes (you could work on the zucchini pasta at this point!).

3) Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.

4) Once the pan is hot, add several scallops, but be sure not to overcrowd the pan (try doing batches of 4 or 5 scallops at a time depending on the size of your pan).

5) Sear each side for about 2-3 minutes, but be sure not to overcook!  I looked up directions on pan-searing scallops at this website if you want some more reference on how to correctly cook them: How to Pan Sear Scallops



Raw Zucchini Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
Adapted from Avocado Pesto
Yield: About 1 cup

Ingredients

2 zucchini
1 carrot, shredded
1 cup fresh basil
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (I used slightly more than this)
1/4 cup walnuts (other nuts would work too depending on what you have on hand)
3 cloves garlic
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup oil from sun-dried tomatoes (You can add more if necessary)

Directions

1) Prep the zucchini by using a mandolin slicer to create "noodles."  You can also do this with a vegetable peeler to get thicker noodles.

2) Place all other ingredients (except the zucchini and carrots) into a food processor and blend until smooth.  At this point, check the pesto and add more olive oil if necessary.

3) Mix together the zucchini noodles, shredded carrot (Save some to garnish!) and desired amount of pesto in a large bowl.

4) To serve, sprinkle with additional shredded carrot.


Comments