Whole30 Day 30! & Paleo-fied Chicken Riggies!

It really doesn't feel like 30 days have already gone by, but our last day of Whole30 is actually here!  I wanted to wrap the month up with a great Whole30 dinner and I even lucked out with a surprise day off work.  I showed up at the middle school this morning and the teacher I was supposed to sub for was in the main office as well..turns out there was some confusion with the online system, but I secured 4 days of work in February at this school as a result!

So what did I choose to spend my day doing?  Cooking of course!

I also can't forget to mention that I ordered my bridesmaid dress for Lindsay's wedding today!  Next on my to-do list: Find gold shoes!

If you have never heard of chicken riggies, they are a famous upstate New York dish.  The dish is usually made with rigatoni pasta, a variety of peppers, diced chicken, and a spicy cream or tomato sauce.  Since I have paleo-fied this dish, the rigatoni will be replaced with cauliflower rice (you could try zucchini or sweet potato noodles as well) and I will be creating a paleo alfredo sauce to use in my spicy cream sauce.


BREAKFAST

Raw veggie cereal
1 blood orange
Black coffee

SNACK

Grape tomatoes

LUNCH

Paprika & oregano steamed chicken
Steamed spinach and broccoli
2 beets
1/2 avocado

PRE/POST WORKOUT

Carrots
Walnuts
1 steamed chicken tender

DINNER

Paleo-ified chicken riggies
Cauliflower rice
Massaged kale salad (same as yesterday! with clementines

One note on the chicken ridges: In the future, I would use at least 1 more chicken breast.  I only had 2 on hand so my riggies were more sauce and less chicken.  Still delicious though!


Paleo-fied Slow Cooker Chicken Riggies
Adapted from Ice Princess's Recipes and Elise Feiner's Foodfanataholics

Ingredients

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 green pepper, seeds removed and diced
1 yellow pepper, seeds removed and diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and finely diced
1 serrano pepper, seeds removed and finely diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 can green olives, sliced
1/2 cup tomato puree
2 cups diced tomatoes
1 cup paleo alfredo sauce (see recipe below)
2 teaspoons chili sauce (I found this in the Asian section at my local grocery store: Could substitute with red pepper flakes)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

1) Prepare the paleo alfredo sauce: See recipe below.

2) Chop all of your peppers, onion, garlic, and olives as directed above.

3) Place all ingredients in your crockpot and mix well.

4) Cook on low heat for 6 hours.

5) Serve on top of cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, or sweet potato noodles!




This alfredo sauce is very tasty, and worked great for this recipe, but if I was using it as a pasta sauce I would probably add some more coconut milk to make it a little thinner.  This pretty much turned out like super creamy mashed potatoes, so I may eat my leftovers like that instead of as a sauce!

Paleo Alfredo Sauce (AKA Caulif-redo Sauce)
Adapted from CupcakesOMG!
Yield: ~2 cups


Ingredients

1/2 head of cauliflower
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 shallot, diced
1/2 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons coconut milk
Black pepper, to taste
Pinch of nutmeg

Directions

1) Steam your cauliflower in a steam basket on the stove for 8 minutes, or until very tender.

2) Heat olive oil in a small pot over medium-low heat.

3) Once hot, add your diced shallots to the pot and saute until soft.

4) Add your broth to the pot and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.

5) Allow your broth mixture and cauliflower to cool, then place those in a food processor or blender and add your remaining ingredients.

6) Process until smooth.  Add more coconut milk if necessary.




Comments