Whole30 Day 11 & Paleo Orange Chicken with Avocado Slaw

I had my first day of substitute teaching today!  I ended up having some awesome classes of students and things went very smoothly!

I'm also finishing getting prepared for the Philadelphia Winter Warmer tomorrow!  It'll be an early morning, but I'm looking forward to a fun day with my coach Deb.  :)


BREAKFAST

Chicken
Orange
1 hard boiled egg

LUNCH

Leftover curry chicken and cauliflower rice
1 avocado
Carrots

DINNER

Orange chicken
Avocado coleslaw
Roasted carrots



The orange chicken and avocado slaw I made for dinner were AWESOME!!  I do love a good coleslaw, but I haven't been able to enjoy any for about half a year now since I gave up dairy.  This avocado slaw is a great substitute.  The key to its greatness:  Cumin.  The subtle flavor that this spice adds really dresses up the dish and makes it seem more like a traditional coleslaw somehow.  The orange chicken also somehow turned out great!  I wasn't sure how it would be since I basically made up the recipe as I was cooking, but it really tasted like orange chicken you could get from a Chinese restaurant!

I also recently realized how much I love roasted carrots.  It's funny because when I was a kid, I hated cooked carrots and would only eat them raw.  I guess that certain things change with time!  To roast carrots, simply cut them into any desired size pieces and mix with just a little bit of olive oil and your herb of choice (I used italian seasoning today).  Place them in a preheated oven set to 400°F and allow them to roast for about 20 minutes.

Paleo Orange Chicken
Yield: 2 small servings

Ingredients

2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4 cup orange juice
Zest from 1 orange
1 Tablespoon coconut aminos
1/2 teaspoon red curry paste
1 green onion, chopped
Coconut oil

Directions

1) In a medium-sized pot, add your orange juice, zest, coconut aminos, and red curry paste.  Turn heat to medium-low and allow to simmer and thicken while you cook the chicken.

2) Add some coconut oil to a saute pan over medium heat.  Once the pan has heated up, add your chicken and cook for about 5 minutes or until cooked through.

3) Add your chicken to the pot with the orange sauce and stir so that the chicken is evenly coated.

4) If desired top with some chopped green onions to serve.


Avocado Slaw
Adapted from paleOMG


Ingredients

1/2 small head of cabbage, chopped
1 avocado
1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon lime juice
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Black pepper, to taste
~2 Tablespoons coconut milk, if needed*
Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/2 green bell pepper, diced

Directions

1) Add all ingredients, except the cabbage, tomatoes, and bell pepper to a food processor and process until smooth.
*If the mixture is too thick for a coleslaw dressing, add in coconut milk 1 Tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached (I used 2 Tablespoons of coconut milk in mine).

2) Place your chopped cabbage, tomatoes, and bell peppers in a bowl and pour your avocado "mayo" over the cabbage.  Stir to combine.

-Brought to you from Erin's Kitchen

Comments