Whole30 Day 14 & Homemade Coconut Milk

2 Weeks into the Whole30 and I finally feel like I can really pay attention to how I'm feeling based around the clean eating, without having the side effects of being sick getting in the way!  Today I felt GREAT.  Lots of energy and no trouble waking up in the morning.  Unfortunately, I did not get a substitute job today.  Instead, I spent a large chunk of the day messing around with making my own fresh coconut milk.  Let me tell you, this was definitely an experience!  However, the end result is some  creamy and very fresh tasting coconut milk that is better than what you can buy canned at a grocery store.  If you ever have the extra time to waste, I would recommend trying this out.  Just be aware that it is definitely a time-consuming process!


BREAKFAST

Chicken
Clementine
Cashews
Black coffee


LUNCH

Steamed chicken breast
Cooked cabbage with spinach and onions
Carrots

Steamed Chicken Breast


I just discovered steamed chicken on Sunday and it is now my favorite way to cook chicken.  It is also super quick and requires practically no work.


Directions

1) Place just enough water in the bottom of a pot so that it does not cover the steamer basket that you will be using.

2) Place the pot on your stove and turn the heat on high until the water begins to boil.

3) Add the chicken to your steamer basket, cover, and reduce heat to medium-high (about 8).  However, make sure that the water is still boiling.

4) Allow the chicken to steam for 10 minutes (make sure to NOT remove the lid during these 10 minutes as that will release the steam that is cooking the chicken), then remove from heat.

5) At this point, the chicken should be cooked through, but you can always cut a piece to double check that the inside is no longer pink.

PRE/POST WORKOUT

4 dates
1/4 cup cashews
1 steamed chicken tender
2 hard boiled eggs whites

OTHER SNACKS (For some reason I was extra hungry today)

Unsweetened coconut flakes
Olives
Trail mix (Mango goji fire raw and sprouted trail mix by Living Intentions - Delicious!!!  I found this in Wegman's bulk nuts section and had to try it.  Warning: It is spicy, the "fire" refers to habanero!)

DINNER

Thai coconut curry chicken soup
(Courtesy of Dan!  It was delicious!!!  And full of chicken and vegetables.)


Homemade Coconut Milk
Directions from The Renegade Kitchen

For the coconut milk, I am going to send you to the website that I used for directions and show you the pictures of my process.  I bought a fresh coconut from Wegmans that was already pre-scored to make it easier to crack open.  Cracking it open did not take me much time at all, but getting the coconut meat out of the shell was the real time-consuming process.  Just be patient though and you will be able to get it all out!

When I made my coconut milk, I used the actual coconut water from the coconut with the addition of about 1 cup of hot water.





-Brought to you from Erin's Kitchen

Comments