Whole30 day 28 - Zucchini Pasta with Chicken

Another double run Wednesday, the last one during Whole30! Unfortunately the weather this week has continued to be pretty cold and windy, so the first run of the day ended up on the treadmill. Until last Friday, I hadn't run on a treadmill in a long time. I went to the gym at SMU and had my first run on a Woodway treadmill - completely different experience than the typical gym treadmill! I'll still prefer being outside, but at least I know I have another option that I can enjoy on days when the weather is not cooperating.

Pre-run #1: half an avocado, piece of Sweet Potato Energy Bar, cup of coffee

Breakfast: piece of Hearty Breakfast Quiche, cup of coffee

Lunch: the usual (veggies, orange, half a grilled chicken breast, half a sweet potato with coconut oil and hot sauce)

Pre-run #2: handful of almonds

The second run of the day I went outside because I thought one treadmill run was sufficient and when I have a run that involves faster pace intervals, I prefer to feel like I am making forward progress. The cooler air combined with some strong wind at the lake where I was running made for a chilly run, but I made it and got back to my car right as the sun was setting. Two days in a row of finishing all my workouts before the sun had set completely - I'm liking this new sleeping schedule! 


Dinner: Finishing my workouts earlier in the evening also means more time for cooking. After a long shower to thaw from my run, I took advantage of the extra time and made zucchini pasta for the first time this Whole30.  For a bit more post-run carbohydrate, I added some sweet potato shreds into the pasta mix. 



Zucchini Pasta with Sweet Potato Shreds
Yield: 2-3 large servings


Ingredients
Pasta
3 zucchini
1 cup sweet potato shreds
1 T coconut oil
1 tsp salt

Sauce
1 jar of pasta sauce (I used Safeway brand mushroom and onion, it is Whole30 compliant)
1 medium sized bell pepper, diced
1/2 of a medium onion, diced
Olive oil (enough to saute the pepper and onion)
1.5 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped into cubes (I used chicken we had already grilled)
Optional added seasonings (we like to spice up the sauce a bit):
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Instructions

1) Saute the peppers and onions in a skillet with olive oil over medium heat until they brown.

2) Place peppers and onions in a saucepan with the rest of the ingredients for the sauce over low heat.

3) The zucchini must be sliced into "noodles." The easiest way to do this is using a mandolin if you have one, otherwise a vegetable peeler will also work. Simply run down the length of the zucchini with the peeler and repeat. I also cut the noodles in half lengthwise to make them easier to cook and to eat.

4) Lay the zucchini noodles flat on a paper towel. Take another paper towel and place on top. Press down to remove as much water from the zucchini as possible - this is key to making zucchini pasta that doesn't soften too much and fall apart.

5) Place the zucchini and the sweet potato shreds in a skillet with 1 T coconut oil and 1 tsp salt. Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, flipping/stirring once or twice. To speed the process up a bit, I covered the skillet for the first 2-3 minutes. Adjust the cooking time based on whether you would like the noodles to be on the firm side or softer.

6) Scoop noodles into a bowl and top with sauce as desired, enjoy!


Summary Day 28: It's hard to believe it has almost been 30 days! This time around was so much easier, and I'm actually not craving anything at all that is not Whole30 compliant. While I know I will likely have a few items that are not compliant on Super Bowl Sunday, I'm not planning on straying from the eating template at all on a regular basis. I think this time around we have really been able to adjust some of our food choices and recipes to maximize our energy levels and improve our workout and sleep quality, and I'd like to keep it that way! 


Comments

  1. Hi can i ask when making your breakfast quiche do you pre cook your veggies ? Thanks Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason! No, I do not pre-cook the veggies for the quiche. I've found that the time in the oven for the eggs to cook is sufficient for the veggies to soften, and I'm all for keeping it as simple as possible!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment