Whole30 day 11 - Garlic sweet potato mash

Day 11 was another 70 degree day of Dallas and another day of having lots of energy, I'll take it! Started the day with a great breakfast, followed by the weekly trip to the grocery store. In case you were wondering, this is what it takes to feed two athletes training for an Ironman each week.....
Breakfast: I was spoiled again this morning by Andy cooking breakfast for me. He used the leftover burgers from last night to make omelets with burger, sauteed mushrooms and spinach, yum! Three eggs were used for each omelet, the burger was sliced and warmed in a pan, and the spinach and mushrooms were sauteed in coconut oil. He also made a side of potatoes and onions and as usual served everything with half an avocado and a cup of coffee. 

Lunch: We ate lunch a little bit late, and didn't want to have too much before doing our long run, so we kept it simple. I had half of a sweet potato with coconut oil and half of a grilled chicken breast.

Long run nutrition: We both liked the Coconut Butter Stuffed Dates from yesterday, so we again used them during our long run. Andy took one about every 30 minutes, and I had one about every 45 minutes. I also picked up these Chia seed gel packets at the grocery store today and so we gave them a try.



According to the Whole30 guidelines, chia seeds aren't off limits, but should be used in moderation, as with all seeds. I don't intend to incorporate chia seeds into any other part of my diet, so I'm okay with using one or two of the packets once a week for a long run. They are actually pretty tasty and worked really well. I mixed one into my water bottle, and Andy had two packets during the run. 

Dinner: Even though the air temp was around 70 today, there were 25 mph winds that added a bit of an extra challenge into the run. So by the time we were finished, we were both hungry and dinner was necessary as fast as possible. When we got home we set out to divide and conquer making dinner - Andy got right to grilling steaks, and I started making garlic mashed sweet potatoes. The sweet potato concoction turned out to be the best mashed potatoes I've ever made, including pre-whole30. When dinner was finished, we had a delicious plate of filet mignon, NY strip (we shared the two cuts of steak), garlic sweet potato mash, and Brussels sprouts.


Garlic Sweet Potato Mash


Ingredients
2 sweet potatoes
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 T coconut oil
1.5 T minced garlic (I used the kind you can buy in a jar already minced)
1 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp black pepper

Instructions
1) Cook the sweet potatoes - I took the quick route of microwaving them
2) Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth


Summary of day 11: Day was productive - grocery shopping, some food prep, and household maintenance. Ended the day with a great run and a delicious dinner. Somehow I still have lots of energy after a busy day and a long run, but I'm not complaining!

Comments