Whole30 day 15 - halfway point!

Thursday was Whole30 day 15, halfway there! Everything has been going so smoothly though that I'm not desperate for day 30 to arrive. The only thing I'm looking forward to is being able to go out to eat every once in awhile, or pick up something quick for convenience, without having to spend lots of time making sure food is compliant. I'm planning on sticking to Whole30 compliant meals 95% of the time, but that 5% of flexibility will make life easier. 

Day 15 was going to be a bike test day for me, but my legs had other plans. After getting on the bike and going through most of my warm up I realized my legs were just not going to fire.  My legs felt like limp noodles and I just couldn't muster up the energy to turn the pedals with any kind of power. My guess was that I didn't have enough carbohydrate on day 14, which included two runs. I try to eat sweet potatoes on a regular basis with the amount I train, but this made me realize I need to be extra conscientious about carbohydrate intake and timing. 
I went on a search for some additional sources of post-exercise (or during for long workouts) carbohydrate at the grocery store and found another option - SunRype fruit bars and bites. They are made with all fruits and fruit juices, and taste pretty good. I'm thinking of trying the bites during my Sunday long run as they are similar in sugar content and texture to some of the energy gummies that are available. 

My food intake today wasn't overly exciting, or anything new, but here it is: 

Breakfast: Piece of quiche, half an avocado, cup of coffee

Lunch: The usual (veggies, orange, half a grilled chicken breast, half a sweet potato with coconut oil and hot sauce); I also had a can of coconut water

Pre-attempted bike test: Handful of almonds, and 1/4 cup of SunRype fruit bites

Dinner: Spinach salad (bowl full of spinach, topped with diced carrots, cucumber, mushrooms, and homemade dressing). Also, after my legs felt dead when I attempted my bike test, I decided I needed some more carbohydrate,so I added a large sweet potato (cooked in the microwave), topped with coconut oil and hot sauce to my dinner. 


Summary day 15: I was a bit disappointed with how my legs felt and my inability to push through my bike test, but  hopeful that it was nothing a good dose of carbohydrate couldn't fix! It's also good timing with triathlon season to be working through these fueling issues now, rather than when training volume peaks or when it comes time to race (yes, I'm attempting to be positive!)

Comments