Whole30 day 6

The Whole30 day to day timeline describes days 6 and 7 as "I just want a nap," and this is exactly how I felt today. For me the wanting a nap phase was days 5 and 6, most accurately described as tiredness with a side of cranky. The crankiness may also be due to the struggle to get motivated at work after the holidays, but nonetheless cranky and tired are not a fun combination. Since tiredness started a day early for me, hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow and skip to the predicted "boundless energy" phase. 

Breakfast: piece of the same quiche as yesterday, half an avocado, cup of coffee. 

Post-swim: piece of a homemade energy bar. This recipe is similar to the Sweet Potato and Egg Muffins but is made even easier by baking in a pan rather than having to scoop into individual muffin cups.

Sweet Potato Energy Bar


Ingredients
1.5 large baked sweet potatoes
2 T extra light olive oil (can use coconut oil, I used olive because I was out of coconut)
2 bananas
~3/4 cup mixed nuts
3 large eggs
1.5 T cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup raisins

Instructions

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2) Place nuts in the blender and process until fine

3) Add all ingredients except raisins and process until smooth

4) Pulse in the raisins until evenly distributed

5) Spread better into a greased 9 x 11 pan

6) Bake at 350 for ~1 hour; check to make sure the bottom is cooked using a toothpick

7) Let the pan cool then cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator.


Lunch: Same as the past five days - an orange, vegetables, half a chicken breast, and half a sweet potato with coconut oil and hot sauce.

Pre-bike: handful of mixed nuts and raisins

Post-bike: piece of the energy bar

Dinner: Salad with grilled chicken and a vinaigrette dressing. Salad was romaine lettuce, chopped carrots and cucumber, diced avocado, and diced chicken. Dressing was 1 part apple cider vinegar, 1 part balsamic vinegar, 2 parts extra light olive oil, 1 tsp sea salt, and 2 tsp horseradish mustard combined in a dressing shaker (one of the most simple, yet best kitchen tools ever). 


Day 6 summary: tired and a little cranky, but hopeful that a good nights sleep will be all it takes to get my energy back! I also think I need to pay close attention to my electrolyte intake, and that an imbalance may be contributing to my fatigue. I've been using Elete electrolyte drops in my water when I am training, but I think I may need more. Most processed foods contain a lot of sodium, so the switch to a diet free of processed foods and sports supplements often results in a reduction in sodium intake if you aren't conscientious of adding enough when exercising heavily.

Comments