Whole30 day 13: Sesame stir fry and a sports beverage

As with most of the mornings the past two weeks I struggled to get up today when my alarm went off. Once I was up my energy was good for the rest of the day, it just took a bit for me to fully wake up. Started the day with a cup of coffee before an easy hour on the bike trainer. 

Breakfast: A piece of quiche (sweet potato shreds, rutabaga shreds, mushroom, kale, and egg) and half an avocado, both topped with salsa. And another cup of coffee :)

Lunch: After mixing it up with chili for lunch yesterday I was back to my typical lunch of vegetables, an orange, half a grilled chicken breast, and half a sweet potato with coconut oil and hot sauce. It may not sound very exciting, but it is delicious, well balanced, and I don't ever get tired of it. 

Post-swim: After work Andy and I went to the pool for a swim. When we got home, Andy got creative and came up with a Whole30 sports beverage. The key lime juice adds potassium, and the sea salt adds sodium. You can also add coconut water to the mix to provide some more potassium and create a new flavor. Adjust the amount of the key lime juice to taste.  

Sports Drink


Ingredients
8 oz sparkling mineral water (we used water from World Market) *If you plan to drink this while exercising, use still mineral water in place of sparkling
2 T key lime juice (we used Nellie & Joe's brand)
1/8 tsp fine sea salt

Instructions 

Mix all ingredients together in a glass - be careful when adding the salt, it will make the sparkling water start to fizz.

Dinner: It had been a pretty long day, so we resorted to the easy option of creating a quick skillet meal from things we already had chopped or cooked in the fridge.

Sesame Stir Fry
Yield: 2 large servings


Ingredients
1.5 cups sweet potato, shredded
1 cup rutabaga, shredded
1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 head of broccoli, divided into florets
1.5 grilled chicken breasts, cubed
1 T coconut oil
3 T sesame seeds
2 T sesame oil

Instructions

1) Add coconut oil, sweet potato, and rutabaga to a skillet and cook over medium heat until soft and beginning to brown, stirring occasionally.

2) Add broccoli florets and mushrooms, cover with a lid, and allow to cook until the broccoli is steamed (~2 minutes)

3) Add the grilled chicken, sesame seeds, and sesame oil and cook until the chicken is warm.

Note: seed oils are allowed on the Whole30, but should be used in moderation and not cooked over high heat, this is why I added the sesame oil and sesame seeds at the end with just enough time for them to warm)


Summary day 13: I was really happy with the sports drink discovery - it's nice to have something other than water to drink, and I have definitely been needing more electrolytes after my workouts. Everything felt pretty good today, I still didn't have the energy I had over the weekend, but my energy level was better than yesterday and consistent throughout the day.


Comments