Whole30 day 16 - FTP test, Chipotle, and UM swimming!

Since I didn't succeed at my bike test on day 15, that meant I would be starting day 16 with some extra fun....The basic idea of the bike test is to go as hard as you can for 20 minutes, and by hard I mean I usually keep a trash can nearby, just in case. I got up early to get some food and coffee into me before testing. The little bit of rest and the extra carbohydrate intake at dinner must have made a difference, because my legs felt infinitely better today than they did yesterday and the test went well. With the bike out of the way I was looking forward to the end of the day, getting to watch #1 ranked Michigan men's swimming compete at an invitational at SMU! (#3 Florida, #6 USC, and #8 Louisville are there too) 
Breakfast: We made a quiche the night before since we knew Friday was going to be very busy. This time we did a bit of a different version that is delicious and provides a different flavor and texture to mix into the quiche line up. The main difference in the recipe is the use of a cooked sweet potato in place of some of the shreds, but this small difference provides a sweet and savory contrast to the quiche. 


Mashed Sweet Potato Quiche


Ingredients
1 large sweet potato
1 cup sweet potato shreds
1/2 of a yellow onion, chopped
1/3 cup mushrooms, chopped
1 - 1.5 cups kale, cut into pieces
10 eggs, beaten

Instructions

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2) Cook the sweet potato (I did this the quick way, in the microwave)

3) Place the sweet potato shreds in the bottom of your pan (I used a 9" round pie pan since we only had enough sweet potato shred left for this size, but you can scale the ingredients up for a 9 x 11 pan). The sweet potato shreds on the bottom will create a "crust" that the mashed potatoes will sit on top of.

4) Take the cooked sweet potato and cut/mash it, then drop in spoonfuls on top of the sweet potato shreds.

5) Add the onion, mushrooms, and kale on top of the sweet potatoes.

6) Pour the eggs on top then take a fork and gently press the vegetables down into the eggs.

7) Place in the oven and bake for ~ 1 hr and 15 mins, or until the quiche has set. With the mashed sweet potato, this will take a bit longer than when using shreds only, so just check it frequently after 1 hour.


Post-bike test: Lots of water with Elete electrolytes to re-hydrate, a banana, and two Energy Bites.

Lunch: the usual (veggies, orange, half a grilled chicken breast, half a sweet potato with coconut oil and hot sauce)

Pre-swim: Sunrype fruit bites and a handful of almonds

Dinner: After getting in my swim, we had to get dinner quickly in order to get to the swim meet on time. Since I had just done my grocery shopping today, we didn't have anything pre-made at the house. I had done some research during the day and had heard that it was surprisingly possible to get a Whole30 approved meal at Chipotle. I looked up the ingredients on Chipotle's website, and found this to be true! There is only one meat you can get that meets Whole30 guidelines, but in a pinch it's nice to have a quick option. 

Whole30 at Chipotle


Salad bowl (no dressing)
  • Carnitas (you can get double meat to give you more food)
  • Pico, medium, or hot salsa - the only one you can't have is the corn salsa
  • Guacamole
  • Lettuce

Summary Day 16: A busy bit fun day! The swim meet was awesome, it was nice to see the maize and blue in Dallas. I was happy with my FTP test, both happy with how it went and happy to have it over with :p Energy level was good for the whole day and I'm looking forward to getting to watch another day of the swim meet Saturday night!


Comments